[SATLUG] Boot from CD-ROM or DVD

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Wed Nov 17 10:26:38 CST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 09:14, Doug <ftm at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can download or obtain a bootable CD-ROM or DVD
> disk image with the capability of booting and running no more than the hard
> drive utilities such as CHKDISK or equivalent? I have a couple of computers
> that need to have this utility run to recover/repair bad sectors, then
> reformat so as to reinstall the operating system from the original recovery
> disks.

I am a bit late to this, but I use 3 tools when I am facing a potentially
bad drive, or need to check outside of the normal OS:

1.  SpinRite6 - Checks the drive at the platter level, can perform extended
read/write tests and monitors SMART health as well.
2.  Vendor specific disk tools, downloaded from vendor site. Western
Digital LifeGuard or Seagate SeaTools for example.
3.  System Rescue CD for all the logical stuff (LVM, Linux File systems,
some NTFS ops, etc)

If in a pinch I can help with the SpinRite as it is a licensed product, but
the other 2 are not and can get you to the same place, since you can
probably determine the make of the drive and those tools can be directly
downloaded from the Manuf's site.

Hope that helps!
John