[SATLUG] help with name resolutions

r3d91ll r3d91ll at grandecom.net
Thu Nov 18 11:36:29 CST 2010

got a strange one.  I have a public facing webserver that can ping an IP
address (example 8.8.8.8 - google's DNS server) but cannot ping either
localhost or by Domain name (i.e. google.com).  this server is a Debian
Lenny with two nic cards (one internal one external) and currently has
no firewall.  Just to be clear this happens both when I do a ping
google.com my system hangs until eventually I get a unknown host error.
if I do ping 8.8.8.8 i get lost packets.  If I do a ping -I eth0 8.8.8.8
I get a good ping and when I do a ping -I eth0 google.com the system
hangs until eventually I get a unknown host error.

here is my /etc/resolv.conf:
domain someip.com //edited out
search someip.com //edited out
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

here is my /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       webportal.someip.com         webportal
###.###.###.###   webportal.someip.com         webportal
10.0.10.15      webportal.someip.com         webportal
10.0.10.14      DB.someip.com       DB
::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

output from iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

obviously public IPs and domain names have been edited out.

any help or hints will be greatly appreciated

Todd
--
The information contained within the referenced, linked, or directed
email communication is intended to be a confidential communication