[SATLUG] XCSSA.ORG is down.. hardware probs.. more info tomorrow night

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Fri Nov 19 00:23:47 CST 2010

On Sunday, November 14, 2010 02:58:40 pm Robert Pearson wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Thomas Weeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org>
> wrote: ...snip...
>
> > Well.. went from a (blown) dual AMD 3200 system to a passively cooled,
> > dual- core Intel Atom mini-ITX mobo. And moved from two 80GB PATA drives
> > to a pair of 320GB SATAs.
> >
> > Less heat.. less moving parts, no traditional electrolytic caps, all
> > translates to even more uptime.  I'm expecting a good three years of
> > uptime before the next reboot or component failure. :)
> >
> > Tweeks
>
> What type of enclosure did you use for the mobo?

Haha.. the classic Rackspce SAT1 whitebox case circa 1998

> Just rigged it in the old case?

No rigging.. mini-ITX fits ATX cases PSUs just fine. Even came with an ATX
KB/Mouse/USB punch out. Fit like a glove.. (albeit a very small glove ;).

> Did you get a good price? I did a quick look and they don't look cheap.

AlTex $89.  I didn't mind paying a local vendor $10 more.. :)

> The CPUs offered in that form factor seem to be Pentium, Celeron and Atom.
> Are you expecting a performance increase or decrease from the old system?
> Thanks.

About the same actually.. doesn't really matter.. a static content web server
with mail list and photos ran just fine for years on a 486DX-133 shoved into
this lunchbox:
	http://theweeks.org/toms-stuff/PSI-WEB.html

Any pentium class proc is overkill anyway.. :) (no fancy DB stuff or dynamic
content).

Tweeks