[SATLUG] problems with AR8152 v2.0 fast ethernet driver

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Mon Nov 22 00:36:05 CST 2010

Hey all,

If you're considering getting an Asus EEE PC 1215n, you might want to
hold off.

While about $500 and awesome in many ways, the ethernet driver doesn't
really work.

I had a vendor-supplied driver, but it stopped compiling when going
from Ubuntu 10.01 or whatever to 10.10 (actually whatever kernels got
distributed with them).

I hacked the Makefile to work, but there's some kernel-level stuff
that changed (as usual - my friends who do Linux device driver support
say that they change that stuff all the time, and it's hard to do
custom driver support as a consequence).

Also, the power jack has a 0.7mm pin in it, which tends to break off.

If anyone knows where I can ask about the ethernet driver - apart from
Atheros, ASUS (who likely won't give me the time of day), and the LKML
(last resort), please LMK by direct email to travis at subspacefield.org

It's too bad there aren't more Linux-oriented mailing lists for
certain kinds of things.
--
Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.