[SATLUG] Just thought you might like to know

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 18:04:16 CDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:56 PM, David Kowis <dkowis at shlrm.org> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> So you cannot use any smartphone technologies, whether safe, useful or
> otherwise, whilst operating your car.
>
> Stopped might be okay, since they specify "moving." Dare you not adjust
> your google maps navigation while your driving though!
>
> David

Sounds great on paper, but ultimately it will do little good.  The person
who gets distracted enough by their phone while driving is the same person
who will be distracted by numerous other things in and around their vehicle.
 I have seen people shaving, doing makeup, reading a book, watching movies
(from the driver seat), turned around almost completely talking to or
disciplining children, typing on laptops (saw a COP doing this), eating,
smoking, etc.

People take driving for granted and consider it "easy" because they do it so
much without incident.  The problem is 99.9% of the time you really don't
have much to worry about .. everyone is doing their thing, staying in their
lane at a constant speed. It's that 0.1% that will screw you and that you
need to watch out for.  The same applies to airport luggage screeners --
they get so used to seeing nothing, they rarely catch it when something
important rolls by.

I agree with David's point that this should not be a primary offense, but it
should incur severe penalties if a driver is found to be doing something
besides driving when they get into a wreck.  This should extend to phones,
GPS devices, MP3 players, and any other gadget, gizmo, or person in the
vehicle.  Maybe even go so far as to revoke licenses for 6 months just to
remind people how dumb they were being.  It is easy to pay a fine and move
on, but living without a license is one huge hassle.  As it is written now,
it will just turn into a way to generate revenue for cops who like to hassle
people already.  The other cops will just let it ride because it's
pointless.

-Henry