[SATLUG] Fork bomb prevention

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 07:55:23 CDT 2010

I'd like to get an idea of how many processes my user and the root user are
running, so I can know what to set ulimit to in /etc/security/limits.conf

➜  ~  ps -ef | grep --count
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.
➜  ~

I'm missing pattern with this, so I try * (match all), as a pattern,
And that is not giving me the output I hoped for either. Any ideas?
What do you guys set ulimit to? I imagine it has to be done every boot.
Or it has to be done every time a terminal is opened if not set in that
config file.

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

gpg --recv-keys E13B0909

Key fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE C69F 18B3 E13B 0909