[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:23:18 CDT 2010

Nate Turnage wrote:
> In a very short while I am going to be building a workstation for doing more
> 3D and video. While I prefer to use linux for the whole production pipeline,
> I will need to use Windows for some After Effects work. So what I want to
> know is would there be a way to set up a RAID that will be accessible by
> both operating systems? If I render out a 30s animation with Blender, how
> will I get access to those frames from Windows?

If you must run Windows (there are support groups for that), then run it
as a VM under Linux.  Then you don't need to worry about how the RAID is
mounted.

With regard to RAID itself, I have always advocated buying a hardware
RAID solution.  The RAID implementation then becomes transparent to the
operating system.  If your data is worth more than HW RAID, then you
need to invest.  If it's not worth an investment in HW RAID, then you
don't need RAID at all.

Remember that RAID is not a backup solution.

   -- Bruce