[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Nate Turnage pixelnate at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:31:32 CDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you must run Windows (there are support groups for that), then run it as
> a VM under Linux.  Then you don't need to worry about how the RAID is
> mounted.

The problem with running Windows under virtualization is that you lose some
amount of interface speed for apps like After Effects. And AE takes full
advantage the hardware, and by limiting the amount of hardware it has
available by provisioning it out as a virtual machine I lose part of the
justification for building a dual boot machine in the first place.

> With regard to RAID itself, I have always advocated buying a hardware RAID
> solution.  The RAID implementation then becomes transparent to the operating
> system.  If your data is worth more than HW RAID, then you need to invest.
>  If it's not worth an investment in HW RAID, then you don't need RAID at
> all.
>
> Remember that RAID is not a backup solution.

I am not thinking of it as a backup solution. I want to use it as a super
fast repository for my working footage. The purpose of the RAID is to reduce
seek and access times over single drives.

~Nate