[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Oct 11 14:14:43 CDT 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Nate Turnage wrote:

>> run SAMBA (along with NFS) on  the RAID server  then the data is available
>> to both

> Maybe I wasn't clear. This RAID would be part of the machine, not external
> to it. And I don't think I asked, but what file system should I use that
> would work with both OSes?

I upstreamed your inquiry to a blender developer and he
answered with three letters (NFS) as it runs on *nix, OS/X and
Windows.

Samba (the initially IBM, later Microsoft) approach to local
area networks file and printer share with a somewhat
self-organizing aspect to it works (for some definitions of
working) on all three as well ... the second approach has
weaker R/W locks

-- Russ herrold