[SATLUG] Just thought you might like to know

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 11 18:26:07 CDT 2010

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> ... How many times have you heard on the news about car
>accidents involving the newspaper reading and driving? How many stories
>about texting and driving?

<sarcasm>I'm sure the newspapers are real eager to print stories where
their product is implicated in a traffic fatality. (And anything less
than a death isn't "news.")

Cell phones are the popular whipping boy for poor driving. Police
accident investigators have a simple list with check boxes for cell
phone or texting alongside such standbys as alcohol and drugs. They've
been told by City Hall to track those items, and (Surprise!) there's a
sudden increase in just that. Why investigate the real cause when your
boss prefers you check a few boxes and quickly get on to the next call?

Such piecemeal legislation as this texting ban is one of the faults with
elected officials today. They pass a law against robbing a bank with a
handwritten note. Another law against robbing a bank with a typewritten
note. A computer printed note. A note made from letters cut out of a
magazine. Letters cut out of a newspaper. Letters cut out of junk mail.
... Then they claim to have passed a dozen laws making banking safer,
and each law is an opportunity for the legislator to get money from
lobbyists, and the lobbyist can tell the Banking Trade Association what
a good job he's doing getting all these bank safety laws passed (so give
me more money).</sarcasm>

[Open captioned for the sarcasm-impaired.]