[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Mon Oct 11 19:55:49 CDT 2010

On Oct 11, 2010, at 19:08, Nate <pixelnate at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/10 5:41 PM, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
>> if this is the case then why not build a NAS solution with dual 1GBit
>> NICs. bond the NICs and connect with a dd-wrt router/ 1GBit switch
>> bonded over a dd-wrt router/ 1gbit switch.  on your production machine
>> you do the same bond 2 1 GBic NICs.
>
> This would require setting up a second machine... with a RAID card... and two NICs. And if I was going that route I might as well go with fiber channel. That's just more than I wanted to get into. I just need RAID 0 or 0 + 1 to serve as a fast frame store.

There's a big difference between a NAS using NFS/CIFS and a fiber channel SAN. In the order of several thousand dollars. Even a SAN wouldn't solve this issue because it's just a block level device that you have to put a filesystem on.

If performance is your concern, any hybrid local filesystem solution is going to be considerably slower, no matter the RAID config. NTFS-3g is user space, making it very processor intensive. FAT32 sucks both ways. So you either spend a little more piecing together a standalone storage system or you suffer a serious performance hit.

A file server takes minimal hardware. And in my experience, I've been unable to push more data through a 1Gb link than the disks could write. Doing a bonded link will give you a little more pipe if your array is really fast. Also, do RAID 10. It's just as fast as 0 and you don't lose everything if a drive fails. Drives are cheap after all.

Good, fast, cheap: pick two.