[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Oct 11 19:48:09 CDT 2010

On Oct 11, 2010, at 7:24 PM, Dennis Hayes wrote:

> I just bought a 3ware escalade 9500s-8 8-port sata raid controller off of ebay and installed it in my system. I paid 70.00 for it. Going over there website they have support for Linux. If intrested I have the gentleman's location.

None of this helps the OP if he can't put a reliable fast filesystem on the device that can be shared equally well between Linux and Windows.  FAT isn't going to cut it.

Nate has put restrictions on what options he will consider -- no new hardware, at least not beyond what he was already planning on buying for the RAID device.

Problem is that RAID is only a piece of the overall puzzle, and when you want to dual-boot into a different OS to take full advantage of the computer hardware you've already bought, but you don't want to do virtual machines, and you don't want to do any kind of network with multiple physical machines, there aren't many (any?) options left.