[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 23:44:09 CDT 2010

The suggestions from Bruce Dubbs and Todd W. Bucy regarding using Windows in
a VM
deserve serious consideration if you want to implement a solution with a
single box.

You never want to dual boot any set of operating systems on the same hard
disk or disk array
and the only way to get Windows to read/write to an actually reliable file
system without using a
2nd box as a server is via VM technology.

Furthermore, Linux does not slow down the guest operating systems it is
hosting.

Windows can be given access to more resources like RAM than the machine
actually has and
Linux will speed up Windows to run faster in such a VM environment than it
runs directly on the
bare metal -- without a Hypervisor/VMM.

I don't care if you believe me or think I'm exagerating.  I've seen it and
measured it.

Read and understand this next paragraph before you say no to the idea:

VM technology transforms a single system having a certain amount of RAM,
CPUs and
Disk space into network of computer systems each with its own unique IP
address.
Communication between the machines in the virtual network does not use an
actual
network transmission but rather something many times faster.  So with VM
technology
you can run both OS you want simultaneously, manage your limited resources
more
efficiently and implement a network of connected computers using a single
machine.

This is a reliable and proven technology.

Othniel Mark Graichen