[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:33:17 CDT 2010

c P wrote:
>> Furthermore, Linux does not slow down the guest operating systems it is
>> hosting.
>>
>> Windows can be given access to more resources like RAM than the machine
>> actually has and Linux will speed up Windows to run faster in such a VM environment than it
>> runs directly on the bare metal -- without a Hypervisor/VMM.
>>
>> I don't care if you believe me or think I'm exagerating.  I've seen it and
>> measured it.
>
> Ummm.... just a few observations.  You're saying 64 bit windows can be sped up
> buy running it under 32 bit Linux (vs. running 64 bit windows under 64
> bit linux)?

In my experience, 32-bit systems are about 10% slower than 64-bit
systems.  Unless you are benchmarking, this is not really noticeable.
Also 64-bit applications are about 10% larger.  In today's HW
environment, that is really a non-factor.

Of course the big advantage for 64-bit systems is when you have more
than 4G RAM or need to manipulate a file that is larger than 4G.

> Or giving 16bit windows > 2^16 bits of RAM space will speed it up
> without using a VMM?

I think even Windows went 32-bits a long time ago.

   -- Bruce