[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

c P sargonemail at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:49:13 CDT 2010

>>> Furthermore, Linux does not slow down the guest operating systems it is
>>> hosting.
>>>
>>> Windows can be given access to more resources like RAM than the machine
>>> actually has and Linux will speed up Windows to run faster in such a VM environment than it
>>> runs directly on the bare metal -- without a Hypervisor/VMM.
>>>
>>> I don't care if you believe me or think I'm exagerating.  I've seen it and
>>> measured it.
>>
>> Ummm.... just a few observations.  You're saying 64 bit windows can be sped up
>> buy running it under 32 bit Linux (vs. running 64 bit windows under 64
>> bit linux)?
>
>In my experience, 32-bit systems are about 10% slower than 64-bit
>systems.  Unless you are benchmarking, this is not really noticeable.
>Also 64-bit applications are about 10% larger.  In today's HW
>environment, that is really a non-factor.

Yes, but the statement was 'Linux does not slow down the guest
operating systems it is hosting'.
Which if linux is 32 bit, and windows is 64 bit, can not be true, even
if you give both blobs more resources.
(full 64 bit instructions take at least 2 32 bit instructions to execute)

>Of course the big advantage for 64-bit systems is when you have more
>than 4G RAM or need to manipulate a file that is larger than 4G.

Yes, but using 32bits or Linux UAE is/will slow down the areas where >
32bits of the 64 bits are used.  So if you give windows > 2^32 bits of
ram under 32 bit linux; linux will slow down windows.