[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Nate pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 23:10:53 CDT 2010

  On 10/12/10 9:05 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I'd add that which VM in use makes a difference as well as the VM
> configuration.
>
> I'll also note that Nate seems to have his heart set on a native HW
> instance of Windows.  I know that friends don't let friends use
> Windows, but we also have to know when to let go.

Wow. I didn't mean to start the Great RAID Debate (tm), but I have to
admit that while the debate on 32-bit vs. 64-bit VMs rages on I am not
all that much closer to answer to the original question. So I'll submit
it again, this time with a bit more information to start.

The workstation I am building will either be based on the ASUS KGPE-D16
dual G34 motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=4AUqWniKqYByIAxw

or the SuperMicro H8QG6-F quad G34 motherboard:
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6100/SR56x0/H8QG6-F.cfm

Both boards have the ability to run RAID 0, 1, and 10 (The ASUS through
one of their PIKE boards). The reason that I want to make use of this is
because video editing and compositing requires fast hard drives, and I
cannot afford to go fully with SSDs. I care about redundancy, but not at
the expense of speed. And I must be able to access this RAID from both
Ubuntu 64-bit and Win7 64-bit. Both operating systems will be 64-bit
because the machine will be rockin' no less than 8GB of RAM.

I need to use Windows because Photoshop and After Effects do not run
under linux, not even with WiNE. Unfortunately, there just aren't any
open source alternatives for those apps. So it will be a dual boot box.
All religious discussions aside, GIMP is a decent image editor it just
cannot replace Photoshop's breadth of useful tools or it's workflow, and
there is nothing in the FOSS world that compares to After Effects.
Blender does an admirable job as a node-based compositer and the now
defunct Jahshaka showed promise, but alas, they cannot replace AE.

And while I appreciate Othniel's experience with virtual machines, that
just won't cut it for working with After Effects. Interface
responsiveness is of the utmost importance and AE will make use of all
the hardware you can throw at it. And honestly, I don't buy that Windows
can run faster on a virtual machine than on bare hardware.

The preceding information is the context for these questions:

1) Is it possible to build a RAID that can be accessed by Windows and by
Linux when each are used as the boot system?
2) Which file system should the drives be formatted with?

Thanks for all the responses thus far, and for any yet to be offered.

~Nate