[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Tue Oct 12 21:33:18 CDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 09:05 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Othniel Graichen wrote:
>> So in response to "Virtualization DOES slow down the system" I would ask
>> you these questions:
>>
>> 1) How much RAM did you allocate for running XP in your test environment?
>> 2) How many processors did you allocate to XP?
>> 3) Is your guest operating system even able to use all such resources?
>> 4) Why are you using a game which uses ActiveX to validate your point
>> about
>> system speed?
>> That is a measure of responsiveness not throughput or speed.
>> 5) Why don't you acknowledge that Linux file systems are more reliable
>> than
>> NTFS?
>> 6) Since Windows doesn't have good drivers for the robust file systems
>> native to Linux,
>> why not acknowledge that accessing such file systems via a VM guest
>> operating system
>> and a standardized networking protocol is a reliable and high performance
>> way to interface
>> between a Windows application and a Linux disk's file system.
>> 6) Do you have enough experience with accessing a disk and the files
>> on it
>> from multiple
>> Operating Systems to know why that is such a bad idea?
>
> I'd add that which VM in use makes a difference as well as the VM
> configuration.
>
> I'll also note that Nate seems to have his heart set on a native HW
> instance of Windows. I know that friends don't let friends use Windows,
> but we also have to know when to let go.
>
> -- Bruce

Another thought, would it be possible to use XEN and load windows up
virtually but with direct access to a hardware video card (for
rendering) and load linux up using a second cheaper video card. Although
I think that would require two monitors or atleast a monitor with 2
inputs. If I recall you can flip between the virtualized guests with
some keyboard short cuts in Xen. The host would be running a light linux
ditro with the mdadm software raid setup of course.

Or you could just use a hardware raid card and partition it up and do
the whole dual boot thing...

Sam