[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 00:26:38 CDT 2010

Nate:

Thanks for restating the problem.

And no what I've stated doesn't sound reasonable, but I have measured it.
Linux is just a better
resource manager than Windows.  But now onto the problem at hand...

Your ultimate decision is which File System to choose.
Problem #1 If you don't run Virtual Machine technology then you are stuck
with Windows File Systems and associated problems.
Why? because Windows doesn't let you mount the best Linux-only File Systems.

Problem #2 How are you going to upgrade Windows without disturbing the data
or the Linux partition(s)?  The partitioning
scheme used may work for a while but you want to guarantee the integrity of
your data.  Writing to a non-RAID file system
from two different operating systems is dangerous.  This is amplified by
doing it under a RAID solution.

Furthermore, I generally recommend against Dual Boot configurations, but
when you must here's the smart way to do it.
Have a separate drive for Windows.
and a separate drive for Linux.
In your scenario, have separate drives for the RAID array.
I assume all these will be connected via SATA.
Connect the Linux drive on the 1st SATA channel, Windows on the 2nd.
Boot up Linux.
Run update-grub

Then whenever you have to reinstall either OS, first disconnect the other
unassociated drive.
With this configuration, each OS can boot independently and your data also
is safely unaffected.

But that doesn't solve which RAID style to use.

Which is why I suggested using a Virtual Machine and Virtual Networking so
as to avoid the problem of
having to read and write a foreign file system in one OS or the other.

With something like VMware or VirtualBox or Xen, you can choose to use
Windows compatible RAID or
even LVM style RAID and access it in the other environment using the native
drivers of the selected
type of RAID.  This has the added benefit of avoiding compatibility issues
as only one OS 'owns' the
RAID file system and does all reading/writing to and from the set.

This addresses how to choose a RAID that is compatible with both Ubuntu and
Windows 7.  You just
network the virtual machines, leave the data on 1 OS and share the File
System over the virtual network.

You choose which OS will own the RAID array and thus all the critical data.
The other OS becomes
a guest operating system and runs concurrently with the host OS.

If you understand this as a practical solution to a difficult situation I
will go into more detail.  Otherwise...
I also would like to hear how to solve managing a RAID array from a dual
boot configuration.

That will be a neat trick.

Othniel