[SATLUG] Linux Video

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 15 21:10:56 CDT 2010

Nate wrote:
>Surely, that's got to fit into fair use. Nobody's profitting form it and
>there was a significant portion that was changed.

Fair use does not care about profit. The changes make it a derivative
work. Teaching somebody how to do video editing, where a small portion
of the original is used in the lesson, is more likely to be judged fair
use. (And while there are guidelines, there is no magic test other than
what a court rules is fair use in a specific case.)
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html