[SATLUG] suggestion for mini barebone

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Sun Oct 24 15:17:33 CDT 2010

On 10/24/2010 11:01 AM, Borries Demeler wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am looking for a small footprint, low cost enclosure. Essentially, I am
> looking for something the size of a laptop without the screen, keyboard
> and touchpad.
>
> Minimally, I need the following capabilities:
>
> Intel core 2 Duo 1.6-2.0 GHZ (or equivalent AMD)
> ATI or nVIDIA video (doesn't need to be high end, with digital and SVGA out)
> 4 USB2 ports
> 802.11 wireless
> 100 or 1000 baseT ethernet
> 2-4 GB RAM
> 110-240V switchable power supply
> basic audio
> 1 laptop SATA drive bay
> PS2 mouse/keyboard connectors
> max weight: 10 pounds, but less is better
>
> optional items (would be nice, but not absolutely necessary):
>
> 2 bay for laptop SATA drives
> DVD-R/W drive
> fanless setup
>
> I'm hoping to get something like this for around $200, is that reasonable?
> Of course, all hardware needs to be supported by Linux.
>
> Can anyone recommend a particular product?
>
> Thanks, -Borries

Not sure what your goal is but my spin on this was to use an intel atom
board. The only draw back is all the boards have only one pci slot.
Check out newegg, they have a nice selection of all the different
models. The board is no joke, I am running 3 virtual machines on mine
through xen right now: http://net153.net/stats/

Sam