[SATLUG] Remote Control of your home computer

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 16:34:36 CDT 2010

I do and its Simple:

ssh -X -l walt box

where walt is the user name you want to use on the server called "box"

specifying -X switch allows you to run X apps like nautilus

remotely.

Do not use xhost for any reason.

Once you have ssh into the remote server you may run xterm or gnome-terminal

which allows multiple sessions at click of a mouse.  Also konsole for kde.

Launching X apps is done in the background with &

ssh is the solution.

Furthermore, Microsoft people can also install free software to become
Xwindows compatible and thereby graphics terminals to a Linux box.