[SATLUG] Filesystem/RAID advice

lookcee hc at lookcee.com
Sun Oct 24 23:53:34 CDT 2010

On 10/24/2010 11:08 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2010, at 7:30 PM, travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org wrote:
>

>> In that case, yeah, you're substituting s1+h1 with s2+h2, and
>> you can see more gains, since you're replacing more - not just
>> hardware, but potentially inefficient software also.
>>
> In this case, I believe that most people will not necessarily fully understand (or care about) the difference between full-on hardware virtualization versus paravirtualization, what they're interested in is the final results.
>

>> I don't really recommend those consumer NAS devices; my impression is
>> that most of them tended to be underpowered CPUs with limited RAM and
>> slow interfaces, limited upgradeability, limited file systems, though
>> I'd be happy to be proved wrong.  It's certainly not a design
>> requirement, just market forces I think ("cost per terabyte" thinking).
>>
> For the Infrant ReadyNAS system, these statements are not applicable.  I know some of the most knowledgeable people in the entire business in this segment, including guys like the technical manager of worldwide field support for Hitachi Data Systems, and he has things like multi-million dollar FibreChannel protocol analyzers that he sends out with his technicians that are going in to support some of the biggest and most important customers on the planet.  Or Curtis W. Preston, who literally wrote the book on SANs and NAS for O'Reilly -- and for which I was a technical reviewer.
>
> And these guys think pretty highly of the ReadyNAS stuff, at least for SOHO use.  Sure, you wouldn't want to run a multi-trillion dollar business on them, you'd want real-deal HDS SANs for that, or maybe Texas Memory System RamSan devices for your highest-end Fortune 100&  Wallstreet financial firms, but for most SOHO customers, ReadyNAS is about as good as it gets, unless they're willing and able to spend the money for something like BlueArc or NetApp.
>
> Of course, some people prefer to roll their own when it comes to file servers, but even the best home-grown systems are going to have a hard time meeting or beating the uptime, total cost of ownership, and performance capabilities that you can find baked into ReadyNAS.  You might be able to beat ReadyNAS in any one of those areas, but you are almost certainly going to have to end up giving up something in one of the other areas to do so.
>

>> * All the discussion of NVRAM and stuff matters very little if you
>> have a UPS on the server and can do clean shutdowns
>>
> UPS doesn't do you a damn bit of good when someone unplugs the server from the UPS, either without knowing what they were doing, or by accidentally tripping on a cable.  I've seen that type of failure way too often.  Hell, I've *DONE* that type of failure way too often.
>
> UPS also doesn't do you a damn bit of good when the problem is that your admin (or your spouse) fat-fingers something and your data goes P00F!

> [...]

Hey Bruce, I think yes the SATLUG is very cool . I really appreciate the
insightful comments you and the other damn sharp people willing to share
their knowledge.  Ya know one reason these kind of commentaries help a
newbie like me is ... I did not know how to ask what I just learned...
damn neat stuf.
Thanks a bunch
hh