[SATLUG] The Price of Data

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Oct 26 13:35:46 CDT 2010

On Oct 26, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Don Wright wrote:

> OK, another of those magic numbers is here. The cost of hard drives has
> dropped to five cents a gigabyte. $95/2GB, $55/1GB from Newegg.
> http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/latest/index-landing.aspx

I'm presuming that the Newegg prices you quote are for TB drives, not GB drives?  Because I can buy 1GB throwaway flash drives at Office Depot for way, way less than $55.

Personally, I'm waiting for the prices on the latest round of high-speed MLC flash SSDs to come down to a reasonable range -- higher capacity in the same space as a 2.5" laptop drive, although the prices per GB are still much higher.