[SATLUG] The Price of Data

lookcee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Oct 26 21:47:04 CDT 2010

On 10/26/2010 02:35 PM, Don Wright wrote:
> Othniel Graichen wrote:
>
>> I have already availed myself of 4 each 2TB USB attach external
>> drives from newegg.
>>
> So when your 2 TerrorByte drive gives up the ghost, your data will still
> be in the mirror, yes? Or after zombies eat your RAID, your offline
> clone in the crypt will be ready to rise up?
>
> As we Jeremiahs keep preaching, single point of failure is not exactly a
> new concept. Failure to learn from history is still popular, too.
>
> (Lurching back to the shadows now.)

LOL, finally I can speak wi 'Old authority' here. Being almost a senior now.
I worked on mainframes from late 50s but only bought my first 'almost'
pc, that being a Trash-3 with 640K and single 5.25 flop so I bought a
second F for $95 and later bought a card that had a 10mg HD took two of
the old slots and paid $420.

I justified the expense with the absolute fact that hell I would never
fill that HD up.... LOL I just ran out of space trying to back-up my
24gig of stuf collected, sitting on 3-200G HDs... It's almost as bad as
my barn with the clutter but easier just to keep moving it along that to
sort thu ....aaarrrgggg .. like what is useful and what is not. Hell no,
not long as I got couple/three of nickles left, shhhh don't tell the
bankers.
hh