[SATLUG] Multitail via SSH

c P sargonemail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 18:20:19 CDT 2010

> I'd like to have multitail
> (http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/screenshots.html, in particular
> something like
> http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/images/sd/lotsofwindows.png) running
> on a machine and be able to SSH into the machine with a particular
> account, say, that would display the multitail output.  Ie, I don't want
> it tailed out to a TTY, I want it "protected" in some way.  Do you think
> there is a way to redirect the output of multitail to a place that could
> only be accessible via a SSH login, perhaps by tying the multitail
> output somehow to a command that runs as the shell when the user logs in?
> David

Well, you could use socat in conjunction with tcp/ip wrappers to
redirect the output to a network pipe (ip && port) with tcp/ip
wrappers adding a login functionality (or wrap a login script around
the socat connection).  You could then just ssh to the login port.
Or using ssl/cryptcat hook up to the socat network piped output when
you want to view it.

Craig