[SATLUG] Multitail via SSH

c P sargonemail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 18:34:26 CDT 2010

On 10/27/10, c P <sargonemail at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to have multitail
> (http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/screenshots.html, in particular
> something like
> http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/images/sd/lotsofwindows.png) running
> on a machine and be able to SSH into the machine with a particular
> account, say, that would display the multitail output.  Ie, I don't want
> it tailed out to a TTY, I want it "protected" in some way.  Do you think
> there is a way to redirect the output of multitail to a place that could
> only be accessible via a SSH login, perhaps by tying the multitail
> output somehow to a command that runs as the shell when the user logs in?
> David

Set up script to start multitail && associated windows in backround
with redirected output to a file/named pipe for each window instance
in multitail.
Set up an ssh account which at login starts multitail w/ redirected
files/named pipes from the backrounded multitail supplying input to
each of the login multitail windows.
Set backround script file uid/group to same as ssh login.

Craig