[SATLUG] Multitail via SSH

c P sargonemail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:10:02 CDT 2010

> I'd like to have multitail
> (http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/screenshots.html, in particular
> something like
> http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/images/sd/lotsofwindows.png) running
> on a machine and be able to SSH into the machine with a particular
> account, say, that would display the multitail output.  Ie, I don't want
> it tailed out to a TTY, I want it "protected" in some way.  Do you think
> there is a way to redirect the output of multitail to a place that could
> only be accessible via a SSH login, perhaps by tying the multitail
> output somehow to a command that runs as the shell when the user logs in?
> David

Variation of the central syslog server w/o the central server.
Login script tails syslog when someone logs into "tail" account.
(or setup socat to tail syslog to port when someone is logged into the
given port)
At local end redirect "tail" output to an instance of multitail setup
for given machine to filter input from remote syslog tail.

Craig