[SATLUG] Multitail via SSH

c P sargonemail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:38:42 CDT 2010

> I'd like to have multitail
> (http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/screenshots.html, in particular
> something like
> http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/images/sd/lotsofwindows.png) running
> on a machine and be able to SSH into the machine with a particular
> account, say, that would display the multitail output.  Ie, I don't want
> it tailed out to a TTY, I want it "protected" in some way.  Do you think
> there is a way to redirect the output of multitail to a place that could
> only be accessible via a SSH login, perhaps by tying the multitail
> output somehow to a command that runs as the shell when the user logs in?
> David

Personal preference would be to use fuse/sshfs
(http://myy.helia.fi/~karte/mount_sshfs.html) mount local syslog directory
containing an additional file on what/how to display stuff in multitail for
the given remote machine.
Start screen program (or byobu), for each machine mount instance, start a
multiline program w/setup outlined on remote machine under it's own screen
terminal (or if under xwindows, per remote machine mount start an xterminal
running multiline w/ remote preferences).

No login account mess, no TTY mess, protected and no extra accounts!

Craig