[SATLUG] Multitail via SSH

c P sargonemail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:06:11 CDT 2010

> I'd like to have multitail
> (http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/screenshots.html, in particular
> something like
> http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/images/sd/lotsofwindows.png) running
> on a machine and be able to SSH into the machine with a particular
> account, say, that would display the multitail output.  Ie, I don't want
> it tailed out to a TTY, I want it "protected" in some way.  Do you think
> there is a way to redirect the output of multitail to a place that could
> only be accessible via a SSH login, perhaps by tying the multitail
> output somehow to a command that runs as the shell when the user logs in?
> David

K.I.S.S: Doesn't use ssh, but does provide a tty-less login w/o a
"shell" account.
Modify "monitor logfie of another system" example from
http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/examples.html to make use of
sslwrap ( http://www.rickk.com/sslwrap/ ), stunnel
(http://www.stunnel.org/examples/ )
or other suitable crypt/authenticate stuff.
Would have to do something like a private CA though (
http://www.eclectica.ca/howto/ssl-cert-howto.php )

Craig