[SATLUG] Multitail via SSH

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 10:46:16 CDT 2010

> > I don't want it tailed out to a TTY, I want it "protected" in some way.
>  Do you think
> > there is a way to redirect the output of multitail to a place that could
> > only be accessible via a SSH login, perhaps by tying the multitail
> > output somehow to a command that runs as the shell when the user logs in?
> > David

I know Craig gave a lot of answers already, but in looking at the utility
pgm and
your request, I would ask some clarification:

What do you mean by "a place" only accessible via SSH?  Multitail is an
application,
so when you run the application, wherever you run it, it has to have access
to the
logfiles you want to view from the environment or "login account" on the box
where
it is running.  The "place" where you run it, is a certain account on a
certain machine.
You can't control access to the multitail program, so your only control is
over
the file access permissions.

Furthermore, it doesnt make sense to redirect the output of interactive
apps.
Output from console apps can be redirected to a file, but in this case it
seems
you are possibly trying to remotely access a set of files?

What are you trying to "protect" and from whom?
Is this a class assignment?

Othniel