[SATLUG] Multitail via SSH

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:26:09 CDT 2010

Ok, do this.

Edit your /etc/passwd file and duplicate the line with your user account
info.

Say the user account, field 1, (separated by colons) is called dave

On the duplicated line change field 1 to tom and field 7 (the last one)
to /usr/local/bin/mt

Now make a script in /usr/local/bin called mt to run multitail.

In /etc/shadow also duplicate the line with your user account
info and use the same new name (tom)

When you login as tom, you wont get a shell.  Instead the mt
script will run (assuming its not empty) and when you quit
multitail you will be logged out.

Use the passwd tom command to change tom passwd to
whatever you want.  To start the password will be the
same as for dave.

I think this is what you are after.
No new accounts are created but two ways to access the
same one.  One is captured for the script that runs
mt.

Othniel