[SATLUG] Multitail via SSH

David Salisbury david.salisbury at momentumweb.com
Fri Oct 29 10:35:17 CDT 2010

>  On the duplicated line change field 1 to tom and field 7
>  (the last one) to /usr/local/bin/mt

OK, I was indeed wondering if it could work that way, and what would happen if you just quit the program (and that sounds like it would be that the session would close, which would be good).

Additionally, though, and why I was initially thinking some sort of pipe scenario might be the solution, is what if I want to view the multitail output, but not in an initialized state?  Ie, when I start multitail with my custom 'mt' command that you mention, it would just start viewing all of the files it's set to monitor, but from that moment in time (I mean, you could write the script to look back 2 weeks or something I realize, but that could be a lot of extra work if one was monitoring lots of files with different formats).  What if I would like to view the output of a multitail session that's been running for, say, 3 weeks, so that I could see what's been happening also BEFORE I am connecting?  Do you see what I'm saying?  Does that make sense, am I explaining that well?
David