[SATLUG] OS installs on thumb drives

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Mon Sep 6 01:21:49 CDT 2010

I wanted to make an entire OS install on a thumb drive.  Ideally I'd
like to have a whole, regular system, that I can use grub with, boot
various kernels, etc.

I could use unetbootin, but it seems to want to create VFAT file
systems, which won't do for my purposes.

I tried to go through a regular install process, selecting /dev/sdb
(the thumb drive) as a target, but upon booting, it hangs.

I'm guessing that while they're the same at the Linux level (just
another SATA device), they're different at the BIOS level and so the
bootstrap code needs to be different.

Anyone know how?
--
It asked me for my race, so I wrote in "human". -- The Beastie Boys