[SATLUG] interesting caveat printed on the Ubuntu download page for Meercat

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Mon Sep 6 03:43:44 CDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 01:45:19AM -0500, John Champion wrote:
> Hmm...."64 bit Ubuntu 10.10 is not recommended for daily desktop
> useage"---ok...I'lll bite. why?

My guess is due to Flash Player.  Support for 32 bits is kinda flaky,
and 64 bit - well, let's just say you're lucky if anything works at
all.  Adobe is working on it.  Until recently attitude was "nobody
uses Linux to surf the web", but it's becoming important for them now
that Android phones are using Flash Player as a competitive advantage
over the iPhone.  Hopefully that'll spill over and make the Interweb
less borked on *all* Linux platforms.
--
It asked me for my race, so I wrote in "human". -- The Beastie Boys