[SATLUG] Add line or character delay to ssh session

Aaron Hackney aaron at aaronhackney.com
Tue Sep 7 12:34:07 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM, c P <sargonemail at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue Sep 7 10:01:38 CDT 2010 Aaron Hackney wrote:
>> So, I've googled my brains out, but I can't find any references to
>> this. What I am looking to do is delay my line feeds to an ssh
>> session. That is, when I am copy and pasting code to an ssh session, I
>> would like a 30ms delay before or after the line feed before it
>> attempts to send another line.
>> I have come up with solutions for this using M$ Windows based software
>> (Teraterm & SercureCRT ,but no putty), however I'm looking for a
>> command line equivalent in Linux ssh CLI sessions.
>> If it helps to understand the problem, I have outlined the M$
>> solutions here: http://www.networksa.org/?p=176
> Well, under a unix shell, you can always paste to a file, then feed
> the file to an awk script which pauses for the appropriate amount of
> time before echoing the line to the appropriate display device.
> Complexities of completely automating this / dealing with
> non-printable/displayable characters (e.g.  offer all available
> display devices to paste to, grab from buffer, etc.) left as an
> exercise.
> Craig

True enough. I was hoping for something simpler like the line-delay
option in the other ssh clients that perhaps I was ignorant of....

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -Dr. Howard Thurman

Aaron Keith Hackney
aaron at aaronkeithstudios.com
Cell 210.325.2196