[SATLUG] AVerMedia TV card not producing any sound

emon emon at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 8 14:47:30 CDT 2010

Hi every one

Couple of years back I had this same problem in openSUSE-10.3, and I
wrote about it in the thread below & got a work around solution using 'sox'

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/112495-avermedia-tv-card-not-working-under-suse10-3-a.html

This old problem has resurfaced :-(

I can't get sound on my tvcard after changing hardware!!

My current Motherboard is GA-MA785GPM-UD2H from Gigabyte.
My Processor is AMD Athlon II X2 250.
My OS is openSUSE 11.3_x86_64.
I am using the built in sound card as well as the graphics.

The program I use to watch Tv is tvtime.
Both the programs (sox & tvtime) are from packman repositories. In fact
I have switched my system packages to packman repository.

The 'sox' script the I used for so long, looks like this
#!/bin/bash
#This script is for automatically loading 'sox' with specific parameters.
#modprobe saa7134-alsa index=1,2
sox -q -c 2 -s -r 32000 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp2 -t ossdsp -r 32000 /dev/dsp

I know that line 3 is commented, but still it used to work; & I have
tried uncommenting it but to avail.
It used to work like a charm but now ever time I try to excecute the
script, it says
emon at magic-box:~> /home/emon/sox_script_for_tv.sh
sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy

I hope I haven't broken any posting etiquette by starting a thread on
this list as well as on the other list mentioned. My only reason for
doing this cos over the years I have seen quite a few SUSE aficionados
on this list.

anyway I would be really grateful if some one can decipher all this for me.

Thanks
Emon