[SATLUG] Monitoring IMAP traffic

David Salisbury david.salisbury at momentumweb.com
Wed Sep 8 14:56:13 CDT 2010

  I'd like to be able to monitor IMAP traffic passing through a
firewall, from the command line, with something like tcpdump.  Capturing
the traffic specific to IMAP is pretty straight-forward with tcpdump,
but whittling down the captured traffic into the basic IMAP commands and
their source IP is, I'm discovering, much more formidable.  Is there a
solution for this type of problem already?  So far I haven't been able
to spot one if there is.  Perhaps I'm overlooking something fairly
obvious, but does anyone have any suggestions?
David