[SATLUG] AVerMedia TV card not producing any sound

emon emon at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 8 17:50:52 CDT 2010

I have been fiddling around a bit more and I observed the following things

Under Yast->Sound it shows two sound cards

0 - SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
1 - ATI Technologies Inc

Why is that ?? I only have one card

But this is the most interesting thing that I observed;

Say, I login & start Amarok, then if I try to execute the sox script for
tv then it shows
emon at magic-box:~> /home/emon/sox_script_for_tv.sh
sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy

and fails to produce any sound for tvtime.
So if I close amarok or stop the music & then execute the script, I get
sound on tvtime.

But if I open tvtime first, execute the script to get sound, and then
try to start amarok, KDE simply notifies that:

The audio playback device HDA ATI SB (alc889a) does not work.

and fails to play any music.
I have to stop the script from executing & restart Amarok.

So with my little knowledge, it seems to me that the applications are
not able to share the hardware resource!!

Any correction , pointers/tips will be highly appreciated
Emon