[SATLUG] testing a 10gbit connection

Todd W. Bucy r3d91ll at grandecom.net
Sat Sep 11 07:49:41 CDT 2010

The data center I am currently interning at is currently having a 10Gbit
connection installed for one of our clients.  Before we go live with
this connection, we would like to test the connection's bandwidth over a
three day period.  My first thought is to write a simple script using
wget to pass various sized files back and forth and to run this script
on 5-10 servers on both ends to simulate the traffic.  I am beginning to
have some second thoughts as to if this will be sufficient.  Anyone have
any ideas as to another method which might be more efficient for such a
test?

Todd