[SATLUG] testing a 10gbit connection

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Wed Sep 15 22:05:45 CDT 2010

On Saturday 11 September 2010 09:27:36 John Pappas wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 07:49, Todd W. Bucy <r3d91ll at grandecom.net> wrote:
> > The data center I am currently interning at is currently having a 10Gbit
> > connection installed for one of our clients.  Before we go live with
> > this connection, we would like to test the connection's bandwidth over a
> > three day period.  My first thought is to write a simple script using
> > wget to pass various sized files back and forth and to run this script
> > on 5-10 servers on both ends to simulate the traffic.  I am beginning to
> > have some second thoughts as to if this will be sufficient.  Anyone have
> > any ideas as to another method which might be more efficient for such a
> > test?

I use the chargen service ("service chargen start" on RH systems, turn on via
xinetd in others).. then just telnet to port 19:
$ grep chargen /etc/services
chargen		19/tcp		ttytst source
chargen		19/udp		ttytst source

Or use "bwtest" on the client system.
Bet careful. I've take ndown networks testing like this. ;)

Also.. be careful with ANY of these tests.. if there are any circuits between
server and client that you don't own or pay the BW on.. they might blacklist
or shut you down.

Tweeks