[SATLUG] cron help?

Aaron Hackney aaron at aaronhackney.com
Thu Sep 23 12:17:45 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Paul Halmos <paul at paulhalmos.com> wrote:
> Check /var/log/cron for errors and make sure your script is executable and has the correct permissions/ownership. That is where I would start. Good luck
>
> On Sep 22, 2010, at 7:30 AM, "Richard Suberg" <rsuberg at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone have suggestions on how to find out/where to look at why a cron job
>> doesn't run when it used to?  I have a script that updates some files, but
>> after editing (putting in some sanity checking) it appears it no longer runs
>> on time. Manual running the script runs fine except it doesn't email me when
>> done, but it takes long enough that another script that checks wether cp is
>> still running and also checking a file it creates to email me also gives me
>> results of the update.
>>
>> I'm not that familiar with figuring out why this isn't working.
>> Richard

Most of the time, when I have a cron job script that runs fine in the
shell, but not in the actual cron job, I find it is an environment
setting. For example, when I run cp in the shell, the path to the cp
command is in my shell environment, but may not be in the cron
environment. Absolute paths help, or you can set the path the cron job
uses in crontab. IF this is a problem, this should be evident in the
log files.

HTH!
-A

>> --

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -Dr. Howard Thurman

Aaron Keith Hackney
aaron at aaronkeithstudios.com
Cell 210.325.2196