[SATLUG] Root Password - Help Please!!!!

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 29 10:42:16 CDT 2010

Cheryl Holmes wrote:
>Resetting up mom's computer with my helper.  Using Ubuntu 10.04.  Trying to
>install Lexmark printer drivers but asking for root password.  I have no
>idea what that is or if it is something I may have checked some where that
>we shouldn't have checked.

Cheryl--
Ubuntu does not have a root password - the root account is disabled by
default and all operations that need root access are handled by the
'sudo' program. 'sudo' stands for 'do this as the super user" (root).

Whenever you have a command that needs to be run as root, for example
"ifconfig eth0", you would type "sudo ifconfig eth0". sudo will then ask
for your (the logged-in user's) password. If your account has
appropriate permission to use sudo (which Ubuntu sets up for the first
user by default) then sudo will execute the command as if by the root
user.

Most of the GUI menu commands have the graphical equivalent of sudo
already included. sudo is also clever in that it remembers you have
permission for a few minutes and will not ask for your password again
until some time has elapsed since your last sudo command.

Different distros handle the need for root access in different ways.
Some, such as Puppy, run everything as root but provide security through
another mechanism.

If you need additional explanation, please post the exact command you're
trying to run and we'll go from there.  --Don