[SATLUG] Root Password - Help Please!!!!

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:33:03 CDT 2010

Cheryl Holmes wrote:
> Tried hitting "enter" without entering anything and it didn't work.  We
> never entered any password any where except for a user password along with a
> username.  Sounds like I will have to completely reinstall Ubuntu but maybe
> distro.
>
> What does anyone think?

Boot to a live CD.
Mount the root directory of the current system
Edit /etc/passwd

   root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

remove the x so it looks like

   root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

save and reboot.  You should be able to log in as root without a
password.  Then reset the root password to something you know.

   -- Bruce