[SATLUG] Root Password - Help Please!!!!

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu Sep 30 10:22:36 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 13:33, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cheryl Holmes wrote:
>
>> Sounds like I will have to completely reinstall Ubuntu but maybe
>> distro.
>>
>> What does anyone think?
>>

> Boot to a live CD.
> Mount the root directory of the current system
> Edit /etc/passwd

Also could just boot into single user mode or init/runlevel 1 (just append S
or 1 respectively to the GRUB kernel line when GRUB pops up)

Generally an `e` will edit the line.  SUSE allows a simple append to the
currently selected menu choice.

Then follow Bruce's steps or just run `passwd`.  It has been a while since I
booted Ubuntu into Single, so I am not sure if it password prompts single
user mode or not.  SUSE does, some RH's don't.

HTH,
John