[SATLUG] [OT] FS: QNAP 6TB NAS

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Apr 2 23:54:23 CDT 2011

On Apr 2, 2011, at 1:59 AM, Jonathan Kelley wrote:

> Well typically when someone posts an item for sale it is assumed in working
> condition unless otherwise stated by default.

Let me give you two slightly different scenarios.  You tell me which one provides information that you think might be useful or relevant:

	Here's a link to a used car I'm selling.

Versus:

	I have a car that I'm selling, which used to belong to my wife.
	She died last week, and I no longer have a need for the car.  It's
	in working condition.  Here's the link.

Even if they both point to the exact same link which only includes the make, model, color, and year of the car in question, the second scenario doesn't take that much more time or effort on the part of the seller, but by providing a minimal amount of information regarding the motivation for the sale, is much more helpful to any prospective buyers out there.  As the seller, it helps give me the best opportunity I could reasonably have to get good solid sales leads, and doesn't waste any more time of the people who wouldn't have been interested anyway.

There's a reason why "Method Acting" is so successful.  There's a reason why it was developed in the first place.  If you know something of the motivation of the person or character in question, it is a lot easier to help fill in the gaps and allows the recipients to make a much more immediate, personal, and direct connection.  And even if you don't use the exact right words to try to get your point across, you can still get across the concept -- and maybe find words that work even better than had originally been planned.

I'm not a sales guy, but even I get how important it is to understand something of the motivation and intentions of the other people around me.  And I'm at least making a point of trying to give others the benefit of the doubt, and not jump to conclusions about the motivations or intent on the part of others around me.

Oh, and this is a very real-world situation.  Uncle Johnny's wife Liz died a few years ago, and that's how I got the car that I continue to drive to this day.  She didn't die in the car or because of anything related to the car, but having known the previous owner I do try to take better care of it than I might otherwise have done.  And I believe that I am a safer driver, too -- Among other things, I don't want to leave my wife in the same situation that Johnny was in.