[SATLUG] [OT] FS: QNAP 6TB NAS

Jonathan Kelley jonkelley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 01:35:33 CDT 2011


TL;DR but read up until the 4 set of double CRLF's. Good morning sir.

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2011, at 1:59 AM, Jonathan Kelley wrote:
>
> > Well typically when someone posts an item for sale it is assumed in
> working
> > condition unless otherwise stated by default.
>
> Let me give you two slightly different scenarios.  You tell me which one
> provides information that you think might be useful or relevant:
>
>        Here's a link to a used car I'm selling.
>
> Versus:
>
>        I have a car that I'm selling, which used to belong to my wife.
>        She died last week, and I no longer have a need for the car.  It's
>        in working condition.  Here's the link.
>
> Even if they both point to the exact same link which only includes the
> make, model, color, and year of the car in question, the second scenario
> doesn't take that much more time or effort on the part of the seller, but by
> providing a minimal amount of information regarding the motivation for the
> sale, is much more helpful to any prospective buyers out there.  As the
> seller, it helps give me the best opportunity I could reasonably have to get
> good solid sales leads, and doesn't waste any more time of the people who
> wouldn't have been interested anyway.
>
> There's a reason why "Method Acting" is so successful.  There's a reason
> why it was developed in the first place.  If you know something of the
> motivation of the person or character in question, it is a lot easier to
> help fill in the gaps and allows the recipients to make a much more
> immediate, personal, and direct connection.  And even if you don't use the
> exact right words to try to get your point across, you can still get across
> the concept -- and maybe find words that work even better than had
> originally been planned.
>
> I'm not a sales guy, but even I get how important it is to understand
> something of the motivation and intentions of the other people around me.
>  And I'm at least making a point of trying to give others the benefit of the
> doubt, and not jump to conclusions about the motivations or intent on the
> part of others around me.
>
>
> Oh, and this is a very real-world situation.  Uncle Johnny's wife Liz died
> a few years ago, and that's how I got the car that I continue to drive to
> this day.  She didn't die in the car or because of anything related to the
> car, but having known the previous owner I do try to take better care of it
> than I might otherwise have done.  And I believe that I am a safer driver,
> too -- Among other things, I don't want to leave my wife in the same
> situation that Johnny was in.
>
> --
> Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>
> LinkedIn Profile: <http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>--
> _______________________________________________
> SATLUG mailing list
> SATLUG at satlug.org
> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
>


More information about the SATLUG mailing list