[SATLUG] on the open source news...

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 4 18:55:22 CDT 2011

Howard Haradon wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Don Wright <satlug at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> --
>> Cry 'Yvahk' and let slip the GNUs of war!
>> --
>
>OK, Don, have you ever cried 'Yvahk'?  And, if so,
>what the heck does it mean?

That's using ROT13, a simple method of encrypting (parts of) messages on
USENET or email, to avoid giving away the punch line for a joke, etc.
The code is even built into several email and news readers. Wikipedia
has a much better description than I can give here, so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rot13
Note that it's easily en- or de-ciphered using a standard *nix utility.

In short, it's a form of Caesar cipher, with each letter offset by 13.
Thus Y=L, v=i, a=n, and so on. (The rest is left as an exercise for the
reader.) I used it in punnish reference to the original quotation, and
also as it seems like what an enraged penguin might say.

Thank you for asking!