[SATLUG] Making a bootable USB drive

buddylee48 buddylee48 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:29:11 CDT 2011

If you don't want a livecd version and actually want a installed OS on a
thumb drive, most distro installers will let you install on any device
medium. Make sure when selecting how your drives are identified on boot
(your grub lines, and fstab lines) point to the UUID of the usb device. This
is about the only real critical component in making a boot-able thumb drive
with your own custom distro.

It's a lot simpler than it sounds but google grub UUID and /etc/fstab UUID.

I used to do this back in the days before boot-able USB were a huge fad
using archlinux.

Cody Lee