[SATLUG] Fwd: TEKsystems - SATLUG Sponsorship

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 11:06:15 CDT 2011

I see nothing wrong with having them sponsor an event and discuss their
services. What I do have a problem with is the fact that most head hunters
will spam you with job offerings once they have your email address. Some of
them are pertinent, but most are not. For instance, if I submitted my resume
as a solutions architect and mentioned anywhere in there that I worked with
a project that used PHP (but never developed in it), the head hunter will
spam me (and everyone else with the word PHP in their resume) for a job as a
PHP programmer. This really irks me as no where in my resume did I ever say
that I am a PHP developer. Of course, the head hunter doesn't take the time
to filter the search and only email those who are actively seeking PHP
development work. That's too much work, of course. :)

With that said, I would be extremely careful with what info you give to
them. Also be firm that you are only interested in jobs that fall in your
area (say System Administration). If you do end up giving them your resume,
be cautious as to what keyword you put in your resume. Know that once you
hand over your info, it goes into a general database and every person at the
head hunter's firm will now have access to it and potentially spam you with
stuff you are not interested in. Also, once you are in the DB, it is a royal
pain to get yourself out of it. TekSystems and Robert Half Technology are
pretty reputable companies. I wouldn't deal with most other head hunters
though.

                  -o)
                   /\\
                 _\_V