[SATLUG] Fwd: TEKsystems - SATLUG Sponsorship

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu Apr 14 16:54:46 CDT 2011

My only thought was "I bet they want access to Rackspace" since the rack
could be a major client for such a staffing firm, and SATLUG provides access
to both the company (meetings at the castle) and employees (Rackers in the
LUG).

As Ernest mentions, it is important to be cognizant of the expectations for
both sides: what is the extent of sponsorship: what the sponsor expects for
the support and what the sponsored receives from the support.

As I am a freelance consultant I work with companies like this all the time,
most relationships are fairly benign; but Ernest's concerns are valid.
 Don't tell them you are looking for another opportunity unless you are
actually looking and willing to accept the potentially repeated contacts.
Besides, it is more likely that unless your resume fits a current and active
position requirement, you will not be contacted unless you continue to
contact them and update your resume regularly.

In most cases, MUCH more spam results from posting resume to Monster,
CareerBuilder, Ladders, etc, than simply giving a resume to Tek or similar
regional staffing firm.  Sometimes, their system is such that they will
match nation wide against your resume, but not usually.  I get MUCH, MUCH,
MUCH, more email/phone calls from Monster/CareerBuilder than simply giving
my resume to Robert Half or TekSystems. Even then, it tapers off once your
post is more than 90 days, as recruiters using those tools will aim for
newer/fresher candidates (unless you have a niche/obscure/rare skill).  That
is why I have to update the boards every 60 days or so to keep fresh leads
coming my way.

Just my .02,
John